Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I love to listen to Christmas music. I love to sing Christmas music (I don't sing well). Every year I eagerly await the annual playing of Christmas music on the radio. The earlier the better I say. So, when November 1st comes around, I blow the dust off of my Christmas CD's and start checking the various radio channels for the wonderful tunes of Christmas. Occasionally, my kids and I will turn off all the lights, except for the Christmas tree, of course, and dance around the living room to the music (I don't dance well). My love of music has paid off. Keaton, my 18 month old, who is just barely learning to talk, sings and dances to the music with me. It doesn't matter what or who's version of The Little Drummer Boy that he hears, he is able to sing DA, DA, DUM right on queue with the song.

The other morning, I was listening to the Hallelujah Chorus from The Messiah, composed by George Frideric Handel in the 1700's. I always get chills when I hear a choir sing: King of Kings, and Lord of Lords, and He shall reign for ever and ever. This amazing song and message was composed at a time in history when the true gospel of Jesus Christ was not on the earth. I cannot help but think that this man was very close to the Spirit when he wrote the words to The Messiah. I am very thankful for the opportunity that I get each Christmas season to listen to the message of the birth of Our Savior, through music. I am also grateful that I can share this message with my children, and teach them what "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year," really means.



No comments:

Post a Comment